To popularise the knowledge of Ayurveda among future generations and to conserve commonly available medicinal plants Patanjali Herbal Garden was established. Patanjali Herbal Garden near Patanjali Phase-I has got a huge collections of more than 900 medicinal herbs, shrubs, trees, climbers, aquatic and ornamental plants from all over India. To explore possibilities of a large number of wide collections, exposition and research on medicinal, aromatic and ornamental plants in an organized way the Patanjali Herbal Garden has recently been reorganised and reconstructed for the benefit of Scientific community as well as for the general masses. A team of Scientists from the field of Botany, Ayurveda and Agriculture are engaged in the research and development work here.
1. There are about 300 species of herbs, 175 species of shrubs, 50 species of climbers, 25 species of aquatic and about 350 species of trees are present in this herbal garden.
2. There are 5 artificial caves present in the garden which provides favourable environment for the growth of bryophytes, pteridophytes and orchids. Some caves displays the basic knowledge of Ayurveda through beautiful sculptures, depicting how our ancestors were preparing Ayurvedic medicine like churns, vatis, asavas and bhasmas etc. It also displays different yogasanas, pranayams and mudras through similar sculptures.
3. There is a beautiful Nav Graha Vatika. It displays 9 plants related with the concerned planet like Apamarg (Achyranthes aspera L.) for Budha (Mercury), Gular (Ficus racemosa L.) for Sukra (Venus), Palash [Butea monosperma (Lam.) Taub.] for Chandra (Moon), Pipal (Ficus religiosa L.) for Guru (Jupiter), Khadir [Acacia catechu (L.f.) Willd.] for Mangal (Mars), Madar [Calotropis gigantea (L.) Dryand.] for Surya (Sun), Kush [Desmostachya bipinnata (L.) Stapf] for Ketu, Shami [Prosopis cineraria (L.) Druce] for Shani (Saturn) and Durva [Cynodon dactylon (L.) Pers.] for Rahu.<
4. There is also a beautiful Rashi (Zodiac Sign) Vatika and Nakshatra Vatika. The Rashi vatika contains 12 plants according to their Zodiac Sign and Nakshatra Vatika contains 28 plants according to their Nakshatra Sign.
5. There are seven artificial fountains and one beautiful pond which provides suitable climatic conditions for aquatic plants like Trapa natans L. (Singadha), Nymphaea nouchali Burm.f. (Kamal), Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn., Nymphoides indica (L.) Kuntze (Tagar), Ceratophyllum demersum L., Pistia stratiotes L., Typha angustifolia L. (Pater) etc.
6. There is large Bird house with different varieties of birds and rare plants around a small pond and waterfall which provides natural environment to the birds. Visitors can pass through this Bird house by a hanging bridge and will enjoy the natural beauty surrounding them.
7. A Guided Tour of this Herbal Garden will enlighten the visitors and will give important information regarding the Ayurvedic medicinal plants by our trained Guides. They will provide the knowledge about these medicinal plants with their Scientific and common names, family and medicinal uses in different diseases.
8. The fresh and green medicinal plants are also prescribed by the Vaidyas of Patanjali Yogpeeth to patients for taking fresh extract and decoction according to their dose of administration. Patanjali Herbal Garden provides green saplings of these medicinal plants propagated in our nursery throughout the year by our experts and these plants are available for sale for general public from our nursery at very reasonable price.